Spine Surgery at CHA
We provide spine surgery for people who suffer from back pain, back injuries, and osteoporosis of the spine. Our expert team includes physicians, physician assistants, and physical therapists, who work together to provide each patient with the best care.
Many patients will initially see a doctor who specializes in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Physiatry). These doctors are experts in bone, muscle, and joint injuries as well as non-injury related conditions that can cause back pain.
The initial evaluation may include further tests to better determine understand your health such as:
- Radiology tests, like X-Ray or MRI
- Electromyography (EMG), which tests the electrical activity of muscles
- Nerve conduction studies, which measure how well your nerves send electrical signals
Depending on your specific condition, our team may recommend therapy, non-surgical procedures, or surgical care.
Some of the treatments we offer include:
- Epidural steroid injections
- Facet joint injections
- Medial branch blocks
- Microsurgery for herniated disks
- Laminectomy for spinal stenosis
- Lumbar fusions for spondylolisthesis
- Kyphoplasty for compression fractures
What is Kyphoplasty?
This minimally-invasive procedure can repair compression fractures of the spine which may be due to osteoporosis (an age-related softening of the bones) or cancer. During the surgery, done under local or general anesthesia, the bones in the spine are restored to the correct position. Benefits include correction of vertebral deformity, reduction in pain, improvement in quality of life, and low complication rates. The procedure can be covered by Medicare.